Friday, January 4, 2013

The Marathon Training begins!

Less than 17 weeks until the Illinois Marathon!!!  I went into a little bit of a panic because over the holidays I totally missed the actual 18 week start to training.  Between the holidays/races and driving back to Chicago yesterday I totally did NOT actually follow my training program.  

Here's a lil recap of the last week and a half.

Friday Dec 21st:  Went to work like normal, raced home to grab my dog and finish loading my car and then HIT THE ROAD!!!  I didn't want to stop at a hotel because I had a 5 p.m. 5K to make on the 22nd!  Took over an hour just to get out of Chicago traffic and into Indiana!  Before I knew it I'd already hit the Eastern Time Zone and I still had way too many hours to go.  Pulled over few a naps along the way, GPS made me go through Baltimore (don't think this saved time just some toll money) and FINALLY got to my mom's house by 1 p.m.

Saturday Dec 22nd: Just arrived at my mom's at 1 p.m. and was horrified to realize that my leg had SWELLED on the drive.  I was panicking but my mom was calm because she said the same thing happens to her on long drives.  Well that's great and all but I don't want the same health ailments as my 60 year old other!!!  So my mother told me to either go to the ER or just go and run my race.  And hell I'd just spent the last 18 or so hours on the road so where do you think I went?  Day After 5K

Sunday Dec 23rd: On a whim signed up the Pretzel City Sports 5K.  Loved the vibe of the race organizers!

Monday Dec 24th: Decided to check out the trails of White Clay Creek State Park.  But it took me almost 4 miles to just get there from my house!  So ran around the park for 5 plus miles then started to head back.  My energy died by mile 10.  I'd only brought enough GU Chomps and water to last me for like 8 miles tops.  According to Garmin average elapsed pace was 12:40 but moving pace was 12:05 (had to stop for a few stop lights). 

Tuesday Dec 25th: Merry Christmas!!  (No Running!!)

Wednesday Dec 26th: Didn't run this day either not sure what my excuse was.

Thursday Dec 27th: Did two miles outside but the cold got to me so went to the gym.  Did 5 miles on the treadmill, 60 minutes elliptical while reading Notorious Nineteen on my Kindle.  I even did a lil leg strength training!

Friday Dec 28th: Off  Went to doctor to see about my leg.  Ended up getting a doppler on my veins, X-ray and even an ultrasound.  The Doppler lady says my veins look great!  No time to run afterwards as I had my FAMILY CHRISTMAS PARTY!!!  Secret Santa got me two new running tops!  In our version of the White Elephant Grab Bag I got a Singing Fish!!  Can't wait to hang him on my wall in my office!!

Saturday Dec 29th: Had the great idea of attempting my scheduled 9 mile long run in the freshly falling snow.  EPIC FAIL.  I couldn't even keep 13 minute miles, snow was flying into my face and I didn't even make it 5 miles.

Sunday Dec 30th: Another Pretzel City Sports event Kris Kringle 5 Miler, this one was about 2 miles on the road up a major hill and 3 miles through the SNOW on a trail.  It was TOUGH.

Monday Dec 31st:  Rehoboth Beach Race into the New Year 5K  MAJOR PR!!  29:08!!

Tuesday Jan 1st: Bethany Beach Hair of the Dog 10K Another PR!!   1:03:51!!!

Tuesday Jan 2nd: OFF/Drive back to Chicago! 

Wednesday Jan 3rd: Back in Chicago, dead tired, napped until my MARATHON TRAINING KICK OFF!!  We did a 3 mile fun run 10:28 mile pace!  Then got our plan for the upcoming weeks until our marathon!!

I'm going to train with the 11 minute milers for the Saturday Long Runs.  I want to try to keep my mid runs 10:30-11 minute miles.  I really want to sub 5 hours in my 1st Marathon but honestly I don't know if that is going to be a tough goal or not.  I've been surprised that these last few races I was running faster than I have before. 

Unfortunately I think that I have to cut out drinking in order to really focus on my goals.  I'm going to start juicing more and if I do go out, I'm going to have a single glass of wine if anything at all.  I'm thinking lots of orange juice, pineapple juice and cranberry juice in my future!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment