Thursday, November 29, 2012

Muscle Definition for Beginners

Morning workout: 2.5 mile walk with Beaux Beaux at the Lakeshore Path.

This summer I trained for 4 months with Camp Gladiator every M W F morning at 5:30 a.m.  I remember the first week or so being tough but then I quickly got into the groove.  Some days were tougher than others, but I always left feeling exhilarated.

Well, tonight I tried out the Muscle Definition class at Lakeview Athletic Club.  Now there is nothing wrong with this class, in fact I think it's going to become a weekly Thursday night thing for me.  But I left that class feeling like a loser.

I guess since I haven't been to a bootcamp class since the first week of October I lost all of my muscle fitness.  I struggled through this class.  It really really sucked.  It made me really realize that fitness is a lifetime goal not just a summer accomplishment.

Today's Muscle Definition class was apparently fuller than the normal class.  Probably the only reason why I ended up going was I noticed the line waiting to get in as I headed to the locker room to check my coat.  I figured I finally had to stop making excuses and just GO to this class.

We need to get a step, mat, hand weights and an elastic band.  At summer bootcamp I had been using 8 lb weights so I grabbed 6 lbs figuring I was being conservative.  I had no which elastic band was which so I just grabbed blue.  By the time I collected my step and mat I realized there was almost NO clear floor space in the whole room except the front.  I certainly wasn't going to work out in the front.  Luckily tucked in the back corner I squeezed into a space!

Unfortunately from the my vantage point I couldn't exactly see the instructor, but he had on a microphone and speakers and I could always hear him.  I felt like he was really personable mixing instruction, small talk and general announcements seamlessly and easily.   I found him very encouraging for all levels.  I definitely appreciated his enthusiasm and encompassing welcome to everyone in the class.

The warmup consisted of squats, jumping jacks, step-ups, etc.  It was a good way to get your heart pumping.  Then we worked on isolating each muscle muscle group.  We started with the bands to work our leg muscle muscles by stepping side to side with them.  It was at this point that I realized that the blue bands were NOT for beginners.  I had to sneak up front to get a looser band.  Once I did this I enjoyed this portion of the workout much more!

The workout usually alternated between working one muscle group and then switching it up to work another.  For example we worked the biceps with various curls and then immediately switched into doing squats.  Or we did triceps and then we did lunges.  Lunges KILL ME!!  I really need to work on my lunges, they just kill my quads.  Anyone have any tips?

A lot of the experienced people in the class had grabbed two sets of weights one lighter set and one heavier set.  There were definitely times in the workout that I wished I had a lighter set of weights to switch out.  This was definitely during the tricep section!!! 

Since I struggled so much with this workout (that wasn't even as intense as the summer bootcamp was!?) I know that I definitely have to go back next Thursday.

Now that I've lost over 60 lbs I really have to start concentrating on toning my muscles.  December goal?  Improve my muscle fitness!  Do at least 2 strength training sessions or classes per week!

What about you?  What's your December goal?

No comments:

Post a Comment